Monday, April 28, 2008

Home again

I made it home thursday night. My brother picked me up from the Minneapolis airport after work and now I am in the full swing of life once more.

While I was still in Vicosa, Fabricio's dad, Albono and I came up with a travel plan that was not so expensive yet saved me down time at the airport as well. So on Tuesday night Fabricio's dad drove me four hours (regardless of my request to take a bus) to Juiz De Fora where Fabricio's aunt and cousins live. I stayed at their house that night. It was nice to see Fabricio's cousin Cristiane again. We talked for a few hours then went to sleep. I couldn't sleep as usual so I got up about an hour before everyone else. I took a shower, had breakfast then I got a ride from a complete stranger to go to the bus station. This lady must have been a friend of Fabricio's aunt because she picked me up in front of their house. I had never met her before and I tried for a conversation but a ride was all I got.
So I took a bus from Juiz de Fora at about twenty past seven. The ride was nice. Not a lot of people and the road was much nicer than the one from Vicosa to Sao Paulo.

I arrived in Sao Paulo at the bus station at about four pm. From there I took another bus to Guarulhos Airport. At the airport I had one last Coxinha de frango for dinner and then I walked around until my flight at 11 pm.
On my flight back to the states I wasn't able to sleep so I watched three more movies. August Rush wasn't really my type of movie but it was ok. I didn't watch all of Atonement because it was too boring and I kept falling asleep. Gone Baby Gone with Casey Affleck was really good.
Anyway, I arrived in Atlanta at about 7:30 am. I cleared customs easier than I have in a long time. I rechecked my bag knowing it was going to be on the wrong flight. I wanted to wait to re-check but I had this fat lady yelling at me so I just humored her and put it on the conveyor.
I had to wait in Atlanta for six hours again. I read a lot and walked a couple of miles but still couldn't sleep. My flight for Minneapolis left around 2:00 and I arrived around 3:30. It was a nice flight. I had a screw driver to help with a headache. I'm sure I was going through withdrawls from not drinking but I am not a doctor.
After waiting on the plane for what seemed like forever we were finally able to pull up to the gate. When I walked up to the baggage carousel it wasn't turning yet. While I was waiting I just happened to look over toward the corner, and there next to a line of carts was my bag. I wondered if my bag was going to make it to MSP. Because of my six hour wait they must have pit it on an earlier flight. So I didn't have to wait for my bag. I did, on the other hand, have to wait for my brother. He had to drive from work to come get me so I didn't mind waiting. Standing there outside by the pick up point was nice. It was nice to feel the cool midwest breeze.
While I was standing there people watching I couldn't help but laugh at the civil security guy. I think they only had one guy out there trying to keep people from blocking the pick up point. If someone was parked at the curb for a long time he would come by and tell them to take another lap, that this was a pick up area not for parking. Nobody was listening to this poor guy. Traffic was building up and he was trying his best to keep them moving. It was kinda funny.

I made it home and am now in what is almost a normal routine. I am working on some DVD's to send back to Brazil. I filmed some parties and the wedding. I am also working on the pictures I plan to post.
It was a good trip. Almost life changing. I am re-thinking my plans for the future because of this trip.
I am also already thinking of future trips.

No comments: