Friday, April 11, 2008

Porto Alegre

I love this city of Porto Alegre. My friend's girlfriend Morgana is at school right now. Around noon she is going to come and bring me to this hospital where she works. So until then I sit here and get to be bored. She asked me if I wanted a key so I could go out. I told her no, that I would just find a way to get lost.
Last night Morgana and I walked to the mercado where I bought us some Coxinhas for dinner. They were delicious. We walked around a little bit. I wanted to stay out and see more but I knew she had to study and that some parts of this city are too dangerous for girls to be walking around at night. So I lied and told her we should go home.
The other few times I have been here in Porto Alegre I am usually accompanied by my friends uncle Harold. Harold is from France but moved here when he was young. He speaks english very well and is extremely cool.
Harold usually takes me to his friends restaurant and we have what he calls shrimp in pasta. Whenever he hears that I am comming to Brazil he says, "The shrimps are waiting!" I wish I had remembered to bring his number so I could call to see if he wanted to have lunch.
Harold has given me a few tours of this city. I have seen a lot of monuments, parks, art galleries and historical buildings. I can't remember any of the names but I saw them.
Harold is an artist and has shown me some of his work. Very bold and dark. He says when he is painting or creating a piece that he sees the dark in the world. So, I guess that is why he has dark work. It is dark but very beautiful.

Anyway, last night I slept better than I have in a long time. I went to bed early, about eight. I woke up at about one and stayed awake for awhile but fell back asleep until 6:30.
This afternoon Morgana, Debra (Morgana's roommate), and I are going to take a bus to Veranopolis. There will be a party in Veranopolis for some kind of town anniversary or something so that should be fun.

No comments: